Thursday, February 5, 2009

If my table lamp says use now more than a 60 watt bulb, can I use a lower watt flourescent bulb that puts out lumens of a 100 watt bulb?

That's a great question. As long as your table lamp is not enclosed you should be fine. You are referring to a 23 or 27 watt cfl that would be equivalent to a 100 watt incandescent bulb.

There are two factors to consider, one is the draw of energy that the table lamp is made to take. This is no problem since the wattage you'll be using is so much less. The second is the heat generated. CFLs still generate a fair amount of heat in their ballasts but as long as the fixture you are using it in isn't enclosed, you should be fine. Unfortunately, there is no hard and fast rule.

Holly Eddins

No comments: