Wednesday, April 22, 2009

What is a Full Spectrum Light Bulb

There is no across the board "official" definition of the term full spectrum. So for each manufacturer you may find slight variances. Full Spectrum light bulbs are generally linear fluorescent light bulbs and are identified by their color temperature. Anything with a 5000K color temperature combined with a high CRI is classified as full spectrum according to Philips.

Essentially it's a light source that has a cool temperature (5000K) and a color rendering (CRI) of as close to 100 as possible. Philips has several linear fluorescent light bulbs that fit in their definition of full spectrum. They are called Colortone 50 bulbs or have the code "C50" in their ordering code.

Holly Eddins

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Philips Regular 85 Watt BR40 Light Bulbs Discontinued

As part of the 2006 energy bill passed by Congress, another one of the bulbs on the chopping block made by Philips is now officially discontinued and out of stock. The regular line 85 watt BR40 light bulbs are now discontinued and out of stock.

The good news is that the Duramax version of the 85 Watt BR40 is still available. The price is going to be a bit different but in light of the fact that there isn't anything that is a perfect replacement, it may be worth the price. The bulb will be the exactly the same. Depending on whether you are currently using a 120 volt bulb or a 130 volt bulb, the brightness may vary just slightly.

Holly Eddins

What is the difference in a "Standard" and a "Medium" base light bulb?

The simple answer? There is no difference. Different manufacturers generally call bases the same thing as they are industry standard or need to be the same across the board for user ease. But one base that you may find multiple descriptions on is your "medium" base light bulbs. Most light bulbs that a homeowner will use in their home will be this base type. You may also see this type of base referred to as a "standard" base size. Or an original "Edison" base.

Holly Eddins

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Philips 150 watt Traffic Light Bulbs

More than 10 years ago Philips went from producing their A21 traffic lights from a glass cover to a polycarbonate cover. For some of you, you may have had a stock pile of bulbs and are just now needing new ones and aren't aware of the change.

When they went to the polycarbonate, the 150 watt bulbs were developing a white burn spot on the ends because the wattage was too hot for the material. As a result, Philips discontinued the 150 watt traffic lights and changed it to a 116 watt traffic signal bulb. Those are available in the 130 volt as well as the 120 volt but the 130 volt will by far last the longest. But with Philips the highest wattage in the traffic signal bulbs is now a 116 watt.

Holly Eddins

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Do I need to use a special timer with Halogena' light bulbs?

The simple answer is no. All Halogena', halogen and incandescent light bulbs can be used with any timer or dimmer. No special mechanism is needed. If you are having a problem, it's not your light bulb. It is probably a faulty timer or dimmer or wiring.

Holly Eddins

Monday, April 6, 2009

What is the difference between Halogen bulbs and Halogena' light bulbs?

Philips created an ad campaign to air on national television revolving around their Halogen bulb collection. In the process of this, they created a "retail shelf" line called Halogena'. If you look at regular halogen light bulbs from Philips and their halogena' equivalent, you will find that the specs are exactly the same. So, it really doesn't matter whether the name Halogena' is on the box. If it's from Philips, it's a quality product.

Holly Eddins

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Do all CFL flood lights have standard twister light bulbs inside?

A little known fact is that compact fluorescent flood lights are just covers over a regular stardard twister cfl. Or it looks like one anyway. Technology is such that this is the best way to provide cfl light in the form of a flood light.

You may ask, why even buy a flood light when you can simply put up a cfl twister and be done with it? You can certainly do this. What a flood will give over a regular twister is the flood light features. The cover has a reflective material that will throw the light is a wider and brighter swath of light than a regular twister will. The regular twister bulbs are great for table light lamp where the light can be projected in all directions. But in recessed applications, it is not the most effecient.

So, can you get anything different in compact fluorescent reflectors. Unfortunately, no. All manufacturers use the same technology. Really, how often do you look directly at the bulb except when you are replacing it?

Holly Eddins