Friday, July 31, 2009

Can I use European Light Bulb in the states?

I was recently asked by a customer who is looking at the Philips European LED Light Bulbs if he could use them in the states. The simple answer is no. These bulbs are made for European voltage which is 240 and our voltage is 120 to 130. Honestly, I'm not even sure if it will work at all.

If he was looking at an incandescent, it would probably work but would be half as bright. So, what's the point in paying twice as much for the energy consumed? You wouldn't do it.

The fact of the matter is that Europe has made restrictions on the lighting industry much faster than the states has and as a result the manufacturers have been inventing new light bulbs based around their needs. Now, once a bulb is created for Europe, it's just a matter of time before we will have the same thing available here in the states. We just have to be more patient.

Now, I don't want to confuse you but there are certain European light bulbs that are made to work with fixtures that we can use in the states. But usually you will be purchasing the fixture with the light bulb already in it and you'll be able to seek out that bulb. It's those of us that are wanting to fit the new technology in our system that have to be careful.

Holly Eddins

No comments: